There is a point every Portsmouth winter when you can’t locate the root of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed properly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help cut back and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s critical to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some helpful tips to identify your Portsmouth home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in unusual locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with functional abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Examine to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket by the operable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Portsmouth to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Portsmouth a call at 603-427-0677 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.